:: Re: [Bricolabs] Access Space is one…
Author: James Wallbank
To: brico
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Access Space is one of "Britain's New Radicals" (according to NESTA and The Observer)
Thanks for the warning, John & Patrice!

Fortunately, we are insulated from the full glare of UK publicity by
being second-class UK citizens. (i.e. We are English but we don't live
in LONDON - so we are virtually invisible, and unrepresented by government).

In fact, I have gathered from some of our friends who live and work in
North London, that the media bubble in the UK is super-concentrated on
an area only about 10km wide! If you're outside there, then you're
almost invisible.

I have managed to generate national level publicity a couple of times
before, in 1996 when I was starting "Redundant Technology Initiative",
and in 2002/2003. Then I and my friends managed to leverage the
publicity quite successfully, but it is amazing how quickly the media
fires go cold in a country where the media, politics, finance and
culture are almost completely centralised.

We've found since then that we have a higher INTERnational profile than
we do a NATION profile. This tends to confuse London-based journalists!

Nonetheless, it is as well to be aware of the dangers. But who can
disagree with our non-confrontational, evolutionary (rather than
revolutionary) approach? We simply don't like wasted potential (of
technology or people) we do like doing it ourselves, we do like
creativity, and we do like to ask questions.

Best Regards,

James
=====